Wednesday, December 23, 2009

It's a Small World After All

Small WorldI don't have any heavy in-depth T-SQL code or analysis today…

Instead, let’s just sit back and take a quick break from the hectic holiday season…

Sip some hot cocoa or cider…

And have a little chuckle over a couple “Small World” incidents…

The late 1990’s were kind of a busy whirlwind blur for me… I worked at home with 3 young children running around; I was doing a lot of preventative Y2K work; I was a Visual FoxPro MVP frequenting the old CompuServe FoxForum and writing articles for a couple of VFP publications; and I was doing lots of short-term trading in the stock market. (Ahhh… those were the days… check out the 1100% advance in InfoSpace in less than 5 months during 1999/2000).

INSP Oct1999-Mar2000

Yes, it was a busy time, and that’s probably why I can’t remember writing a book on SQL Server 7 back in 1999 with none other than Buck Woody (known then, more formally, as Greg Woody):

SQL Server 7.0 Book

I stumbled upon this book the other day at Amazon quite by mistake.

Hmmm… I guess I’d better update my résumé.

It’s amazing the kind of wild stuff you can find out about yourself on the web. For example, about a year ago, SQL Server MVP Kalen Delaney was shocked to discover that she had somehow written a book on Oracle… Kalen may be interested to discover that this book is now available at Amazon in Spanish!

One other funny Google story…

Several years ago, I decided (for whatever reason) to Google my young son’s name. What I found came as quite a surprise. I found a guy named Qxbr Schulz (name disguised) who was a self-employed software developer who had a son named Brad. Well, I was a guy named Brad Schulz who was a self-employed software developer who had a son named Qxbr. And the really weird thing is that we lived only 3 miles from each other!

Yes, as the song goes: ”It’s a small world after all!”

Anyway, he and I met soon thereafter at a Fourth-of-July block party. And no, we’re not related in any way. But he and I have a little chuckle every time we run into each other in town.

Best wishes for the holidays, everybody…

5 comments: